Known as Elders, members of Session are full members of a church who have been chosen by the congregation to oversee the spiritual interests of the church and of the Haliburton Pastoral Charge as members of the charge’s Official Board, working together with the minister.
Elders’ duties include, but are not limited to:
- Admitting persons into full HUC membership and granting certificates of removal from membership
- Administering the sacraments for Communion services
- Overseeing Christian education, fellowship, instruction and work
- The order of public worship, including the praise service and use of the church building
- Caring for the poor and visiting the sick
- The congregation’s outreach in evangelism and social action
- Maintaining individual elder’s lists of the congregation and the church membership roll
The present term of office for members of Session is three years. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of Session for additional terms.